Monday 12 November 2012

DECK THE HALLS...

It's here people, the holiday season is upon us.  On Saturday I sealed up my last free weekend from now until Christmas with another event (an art show being put on by a friend, who if she had a blog for her art I could plug here).  With that last nail in the weekend coffin, I find myself on the precipice of holiday insanity.  I took advantage of the nice weather this weekend and put my Christmas decorations out (will not be plugging lights in until closer to Dec 1) and I also started my Christmas shopping.

The largest of the endeavours is looming over head.  For some years now I have felt an uncontrollable urge to bake at this time of year.  It's like a built in baking necessity mode that I can't shut off.  Last year's baking extravaganza included 4 doz butter tarts, 3 doz shortbread cookes, 3 doz molasses cookies, 4 doz chocolate chip cookies, 3 doz Caramilk chocolate cheese cake squares, 3 doz sugar cookies & 2 doz banana chocolate chip muffins.  Its an insane amount of baking, but I just can't stop myself.  Now, with every Saturday ahead of me booked for the foreseeable, I find myself starting to plan for the inevitable mountain of baking that lies ahead of me.  I have so far established the list for this years baking, which differs only slightly from last years, in that, in place of the Caramilk chocolate cheese cake squares, I'll be making caramel apple cheesecake squares.   Also there may be a change up in the sugar cookies as well.   With that in mind, the baking will begin this Sunday, or rather the preparation of cookie dough and pastry for butter tarts.

What always amazes me, about myself, this time of year, is how I manage to get it all done.  The list of baking is a feat in itself, but there's still parties to attend, interior decorations to erect, cards to be written, gifts to be bought, gifts to be wrapped, gifts to be delivered.... It's a whirl wind of activity.  Ordinarily when I come home at the end of the day, I make lunch, make dinner, do the dishes (if it's a good night) go to the gym, and then head for the couch for some r&r before its time to get up and do it all over again.  Somehow at this time of year, I channel an energy level I never knew I had.   I chalk a lot of it up to the "all Christmas tunes, all the time" radio station.  It really puts the Christmas magic into everything I do.  I love that Mariah Carey song "All I want for Christmas is You."  I swear, it makes the butter tarts taste better.  If you cook angry, your food tastes angry, cook festive and you'll have a festive delicious treat tray.

So I will apologize in advance.  Because of all this holiday hullabaloo, I'm afraid something will end up taking a back seat, and most likely it will be this blog.  It's already started, as you've probably noticed. As a symbol of good faith, I promise to post some of my favourite, and most popular, recipes.  I will also post the various shenanigans that will inevitably ensue in the process of getting ready for the festive season.

Cheers,

1 comment: