Thursday 8 November 2012

WHAT AM I WEARING?

Here it is, the 8th of November, and already Christmas paraphernalia is popping up left right and centre. We are barely out of the clutches of candy riddled halloween, and now at every corner there are cookie recipes, and best pies ever books, and make a turkey that would convert even the most devout vegetarian magazine covers.  The ornaments and decorations are in full swing, including the festive coffee cups at both Tim Horton's and Starbucks.  Yes the season is truly bearing down on us like a freight train with no brakes.

Over the last week I've been bracing for the holiday throng.  I have three formal Christmas functions to attend, and three informal Christmas functions to attend.  All of this makes for busy times ahead, but more alarmingly, for the formal parties, I have nothing to wear.  Now ordinarily when I utter those words its more of an abstract statement.  I often do have something to wear, but have pooh-poohed all of the realistic options in favour of a shopping spree.  This time, however, is quite the opposite.  I legitimately do not own a thing to wear to a formal winter event.  I have many a dress for summer formal wear, but they will not suffice for this time of year.  I also have some dress pants upstairs in my closet, all of which are now several sizes too big, and, I fear, farm more suited to a job interview.  So here I find myself on quest for the dress 2012, the sequel to quest for the dress 2011 which revolved around a summer wedding and ended after weeks of fruitlessly searching high and low for something that didn't make me look like I was wearing a sack of potatoes.  I have been out once so far in QFTD 2012, and shockingly, found nothing.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I found one stunning dress that I very nearly fell in love with until I took it off and read the tag.  $230 for the dress alone, pre taxation, and I'd still need a pair of shoes to go with it.  That was way to steep for my budget of $150 all in.  I spent some time on the trusted Sears website and I have found a handful of dresses that may not be hideous.  Unfortunately, the two front runners are on back order and arrive one full week after my first function.  This weekend I am planning a pilgrimage to the Square One Mall in Mississauga in hopes of finding a, cost friendly but non-moo moo like, dress and shoes to match (I legitimately have no shoes either, everything I own for dress up is summer oriented).

I am dreading dress shopping.  There's never a lower point in ones self esteem then when you're standing face to face with your own reflection while wearing a dress that, in spite of how generous it looked on the hanger, makes you look as though you've encased yourself in sausage wrap.  It's as though the whole store is conspiring against you, the lightening makes your skin look sickly, the mirror has somehow added 40lbs, even your own clothes, that you swore looked appropriate when you left the house, begin to turn on you.  Your shirt gets all frumpy from being taken on and off at each shop you venture, hopefully into, your pants seem to get tighter and tighter making it look as though you're smuggling the big top around your thighs.   You leave the mall, dejected and debating about getting a mullet, you couldn't possibly look any worse! It's a down right disturbing time.

So I'm putting on a brave face, bolstering my self confidence, and trying to pretend all those food indiscretions at the fair the last few days didn't happen.  I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst and maybe I'll end up somewhere in the middle at pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment