Thursday 7 February 2013

I KNOW IT'S BECAUSE ITS FEBRUARY, BUT I REALLY THINK I NEED A NEW PAIR OF SHOES

I've made it this far, all the way to the first week of February, touting the merits of winter and cold and snow.  And while I genuinely do believe that lots of snow and a traditional Canadian winter are detrimental to the health of a bountiful harvest and the replenishment of water tables, I find that I have hit the wall this week.  Perhaps its due to the preverbal February blahs, perhaps the lack of sunlight and shortened days is finally starting to take a toll, or perhaps its because I am in my 32nd year of life and I know (or optimistically hope) there will be many more winters to weather.

As I type there is winter storm a raging out my window, the culmination of an Alberta Clipper and a Texas low which by all accounts I am assured will lead to an inevitable snow-maggedon.  The weather forecasters tell me that the end is nye and I should prepare to have to tunnel my way to work tomorrow through an unending amount of snow.  Now as I said, I have weathered 32 winters, and I have seen this type of wildly outlandish claims of excessive snow fall, followed by hurricane force winds many times before.  More often than not the claims are exaggerated.  I'm sure there will be snow, it is early February in a country who's alternate name is The Great White North.

But more to the point of my story, yesterday while sitting in my vehicle, it hit me.  That overwhelming urge and longing for warmer days to come.   Thus far I've been able to placate my self with promises of winter activities, such as skiing and skating (and we all know how that went).  I've also tried a countdown estimating the time when we will begin to see a light at the end of this long dark tunnel (two tunnel references in one day, that's a first) by telling myself "there's only a couple months left now, we've made it all the way to February and February is a short month.  Then comes March and the days will be longer, and then April is here and surely the end of April will begin to bring some warmer weather, so it's not so bad really, just a few weeks..." But people I don't know how much more of this I can take.  I bring my sunglasses with me everywhere I go in hopes of coaxing the sun out from behind the clouds, even at night.  I've started telling the cat stories because the weather is too crappy to venture out in for social activities.  I've developed a ridiculous school girl crush on Tom Hardy and find myself on Amazon.ca ordering every Tom Hardy movie I can get my hands on (PS check out Lawless and Warrior, will let you know how the rest are at a later date and in all fairness he is a fantastic actor, well worth checking out). For god's sake I was even sucked in by the shopping channel.  This is not healthy behaviour.  This is the behaviour of of a person who has contracted a full blown case of cabin fever compounded by lack of sunlight.  I'm on the brink and I know there is only one solution for this crisis.  I need new shoes!  And I don't mean functional shoes such as runners for the upcoming training season or new winter boots.  I mean fancy dancing shoes.  Shoes that make others say "where did you get those shoes, they're spectacular."   I'm talking Wizard of Oz ruby slippers here people.  It's what I need and if I don't satisfy that one small craving that I can control, well the consequences could be disastrous.   Fear not good reader.  For as luck would have it I'm sucking up my anxiety of being in large crowds and heading to a mall this weekend.  The main goal is to start purchasing something for a retirement gift, but the secondary goal will now be foot related.

One final note to leave you with, and I hope this doesn't loose something in translation from spoken word to written word.  What happens when a cow jumps over a fence??

Udder destruction! Ha!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment