Sunday 28 April 2013

THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF MISTAKE, THIS CAN'T ALL BE MY JUNK??

Well it is spring, and inevitably ones mind turns to new beginnings and fresh starts.  Some come in the form of renewed diet pledges or goals of long lustrous hair.  Others come in the form of house work and gardening.  Or in some cases, things turn to both.  In any case, there is a sense of renewal in the air and a need for change, big and small.

In addition to this spring cleanse, I am in the unique position of a potential up and coming move which means I am putting forth serious effort into re-arranging things to give the illusion of a house well organized and with loads of space.  In deed this is an illusion as I've just loaded 6 boxes full of crap, four full bags of garbage which went to the dump and two boxes for the salvation army/food bank.  And this is only for the 3 rooms that I've partially started to tackle, one of which being the kitchen.

How on God's green earth does one person accumulate so much crap??  I am one person and a cat (well I have a cat, I am not some weird cat person fusion) and I have only lived in this house for five and half years.  I can not account for this incessant collecting of stuff.  It's like I'm some kind of hoarder only I've gotten very good at hiding what I've hoarded.   Take the fridge for instance. Yesterday I spent two hours gutting and cleaning it, right down to the very last nook and cranny.  Dismantling it and building it back up to what it should be.  Wading into that fridge, was like wading into a foreign land full of hidden jars and preserve that time had forgotten.  Some of which I believe were beginning to breed and form new life altogether.  Perhaps I should have called in a scientist, but then they might have wanted to cordon off the whole scene for the safety of society.  I managed to find four jars of dill pickles, all in various states of fullness.  There were two half full bottles of ketchup that had turned a shade of brown that I do not believe is meant for consumption of any kind, and a plethora of jams and jelly's which made appear as though I'm an active member of the jam and jelly monthly club.  The strangest part about the whole scene was how all this had been hiding in my fridge all this time.  Like these jars managed to find secret hidden caves and build forts out of the hot sauce and milk carton, in which to hide.  How could I possibly have let this colony live for so long??  Nevertheless, they've all been evicted now and I have reclaimed ownership of the fridge and the rest of the kitchen, for the most part.  The pots and pans are still putting up a resistance, but I will break down those walls also.

Next weekend I'll tackle the great and powerful laundry room, aka the room where I put things I have no idea where else to put.  Is it possible to rent HAZMAT suits for the weekend??

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment