Thursday 4 April 2013

SO I WROTE A LITTLE LETTER TO THE PUBLIC BROADCASTER



Well my usual witty banter will have to take a back seat for a moment.  This afternoon I was listening to a radio program that I occasionally listen to, that deals with issues affecting the people of the province of Ontario.  Today's guest on the show was the new Premier of Ontario (this is like a governor of a state for those of you who are not from here, for those of you don't know what that is either, I can't help you).   Now I think its safe to say that around the globe economic issues and debt are at the fore front and we, in the province of Ontario are no exception.  Recently our governing bodies, at both the provincial and national level, have been attempting to reduce the debt by forcing cuts to the public sector. This affects people like nurses, doctors, health and food inspectors, teachers, police and firefighters and many others.  All the people you'd like to be disgruntled and unhappy in their work creating low moral and a lack of care for the quality of their work.  Since the beginning of these "austerity measures" we've already had a massive e-coli outbreak from a meat packing plant that was violating all kinds of health and safety codes which caused illness and deaths (this might have been caught if the inspectors hadn't been cut in half) and now we've had an incident where over 1000 cancer patients have been given a watered down dose of chemo treatment.  Teachers in the province of Ontario had their bargaining rights taken away and had a contract enforced on them.  Much the same for police and firefights.  All and all its not a great environment.  The cherry on this little sundae is that many of the general public, who I can only assume are incredibly short sighted and jealous, would like to see those of us in the public sector have our wages slashed.  On today's radio show, one such man called into ask out Premier what she planned to do about his very cause.  Please find below the comment I sent into the radio station regarding this man's ideas:
Two other things I realize now that I should have mentioned was the reference to the sunshine list and the tax evaders.  The sunshine list is an annual list that comes out stating the names of those who cleared the $100g mark for the year before tax.  As for the tax evaders, a recent list was published of very rich people who've been hiding their money off shore in order to avoid paying taxes.


I'd like to address comments made by one of the callers who called in today to speak with Kathleen Wynn and, in turn, to address the Premier's response.  The gentleman called in to voice his concern over paying taxes for private sector wages and what the government’s plan was to "rein that in" and make it more inline with the private sector.   First of all, this gentleman, who is clearly disgruntled about public sector wages, perhaps should considered (as should the Premier) that those of us who are in high paying jobs are also paying significantly higher portions of taxes to alleviate the strain on those who don't make as much.  Second of all, he also suggested that the sunshine list has ballooned over the last few years.  For as long as I can remember the sunshine list cap has been $100,000.00 while inflation and cost of living has increased at a significant rate.  The reality is that making $100,000.00 (before tax) does not, by any means, make a person rich.  In addition, the people who make those lists, work hard and long hours to get there, providing services that we all depend on.  This gentleman also suggested that public sector wages need to be brought more inline with the private sector.  I can assure you, that the recently published list of millionaires who have been stashing money in off-shore accounts did not get rich by working in the public sector.  Our wages are no more out of line with professionals in private sector doing similar work, in fact, with the latest round of government intervention, in many cases we are now making less.  I'd also like to suggest that, when people think the solution is to cut wages, perhaps they should consider what would happen to their private sector jobs?  Do they not think about the fact that if people are making less, they will intern spend less?  And that suddenly everyone's wages are affected including their own?  I think it's time people stopped being jealous of others and tearing them down, and started supporting each other so we can all help each other up.  To address Ms.  Wynn's comments about wage freezes etc... My contract is currently being negotiated, and I understand that times are tough, and as such I do not have an issue with taking a 3 or 4 year wage freeze to help out, but I do not see a solution to the debt problem on the backs of the working people who are paying some of the largest portions of the taxes for a debt that we did not create.


Petty jealousy is one of my least favourite characteristics in people.  Ignorance and narrow-mindedness are also up there.  I truly believe we are far better off standing united together than standing divided and squabbling over who makes more money.  We can only help each other.  I know that I am fortunate to have the job I have and I am grateful for it.  I work hard and am very conscientious of those who are not as fortunate.  I donate weekly to local charities right off my pay check, I donate to many organizations in need through sponsorship of activities through out the year and I also put a lot of my own time and energy into organizing an annual charity event for a local charity which typically raises between $3500-$4000, every penny of which goes directly to the charity.  These are all things I would have to give up if I was suddenly forced to take a huge cut in pay, now how does that help anyone?  It's very easy to judge and say the "grass is greener" but until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes you are in no position to make accusations.  We are all in this together so stop wishing you had what someone else has and tearing them down because of it.  Be glad they have what they have because it means that you and your children have a chance to have it too.


Cheers,






No comments:

Post a Comment