Wednesday 16 January 2013

THIS IS NO PLACE FOR TIGHTY-WHITIES

The winter is upon us and I am a fair weather exerciser when it comes to outdoor activities such as bike riding and running.  Once the days turned even the slightest bit cool and windy, I headed for the safety of the treadmill.  I also decided, since I plan to do two try-a-tri this summer, adding onto my one try-a-tri of this past summer, that it would be key to keep up with the cycling.

Swimming is basically a lost cause, I can't do the commonly used butterfly stroke properly because my arms and legs start working against each other to the point where I am literally going nowhere and just thrashing around in a circle in the water.   It would be akin to watching a fin-less seal flop about.   I have invented a style of swim that is a cross between the doggy paddle and the breast stroke using the upper body style of breast stroke and the lower body style of the doggy paddle.  It's not pretty, but it does the trick.

There is, however, hope for massive improvement in the running and cycling department.  Last summer I completed the cycling portion of the triathlon in 36 minutes and the running portion in 24.  My bike time surpassed my expectations, but my running time was a dismal disappointment.  I am blaming the weather and lack of shade because, quite frankly, it's the only thing that gets me through.

So I've been running on a regular basis on the treadmill, which I know is not nearly as difficult as real life running, but I can already see some improvement.  Just prior to Christmas I tried a spin class for the second time in my life.  The first was in the spring before it was outdoor bike weather and it ended with me falling on my ass at the end of the class causing quite the spectacle.  Needless to say I was apprehensive.  The first spin class (second spin class really, but I don't count the embarrassing disaster, I just pretend it never happened) was better then I expected.  It seems my cycling on an almost daily basis in the summer paid off.  It was still very difficult and and I thought I might die, but I did it.  Tonight was my second class, first opportunity I've had to go since before Christmas.  Again, it was tough, but a really good challenge and very rewarding.

What is not rewarding is the gentlemen in the class who chooses to wear tight white bike shorts that basically look like jockey short underwear.  He is clearly in very good shape and judging by his thigh muscles, he is a regular cyclist.  Judging by what I saw at the stretching portion of the class tonight, he may also be Jewish.  People, there is a reason why they use white t-shirts in a wet t-shirt contest.  When white things get wet, i.e. sweat, they be come see-thru.  Now I'm sure he's a very nice person, but really, I don't need to see your sweaty butt when I'm trying to focus on my spinning and not pass out.  Somehow I ended up right behind this guy twice.  Tonight I even deliberately chose a spot away from him, but then we had to all shift around because it was such a large class, and there he was, large and in charge.  I genuinely don't want to bad mouth this guy, on the freakishly unlikely chance he follows my blog, and also because he does seem like a very nice person.  I guess maybe I could befriend him and buy him some new bike shorts, perhaps black??

Anyway, I'm headed to a retirement party tomorrow with some old colleagues.  I'm willing to bet there will be some antics to share afterwards.  Until next time.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment