Thursday 10 January 2013

WHAT'S MY TOPIC TODAY

Well it's January 10th, ten whole days in to 2013 and what can I tell you about this new year that is upon me?

Frankly very little.  Sadly I rang in the new year with the influenza virus that everyone has been spreading around. I know it is the season for giving, but somethings are best left unshared.  I am hopeful that my time spent hugging the toilet is not going to be indicative of the rest of the year.  I am determine to stay positive in the face of this adversity.  I am operating under the hope that starting this year off with an illness means that I have gotten all future 2013 viruses out of my system.  

In other news, I took a bold step, quite literally, by getting on the scale for the first time post Christmas.  Now there is a back story here that can be traced back to the beginning of November.  Let's take a walk back in time to the beginning of November 2012.  I thought if I could drop 5lbs before the holiday food season was upon me that I would have a 5lb buffer, and while I cam close to my goal, I didn't quite get there, missed it by 1lb.  Nevertheless, I was pleased with these results and by the middle of December I decided my new Christmas weight goal would be to maintain my weight over Christmas and not worry about loosing.  A modest and seemingly reasonable goal, which unfortunately lead me down a slippery slope.  As the festive season grew nearer and with each passing party I could feel my "just stay even" plan going out the window.  "It's okay" I told myself, "maybe we can have a 2lb range."  And then the cookies happened.  One bite of chocolate chunk cookies, shortbreads, and caramel apple cheesecake bites and I was done for.  I turned into the hulk on a feeding frenzy.  My goal of "just stay the same" went to "just a couple pounds" went to "I'll deal with it in the new year" and finally ended up with "you only live once, just eat it all!"  So here we are, present day, 2013, and I am happy to announce, that while I did not stick to "staying the same"  I did manage to eke out the 2lb rule, although it did take a 3 day cleanse to get me back there and also the flu probably helped.

The point is, we all make outlandish plans to behave at Christmas and even more outlandish plans to turn into lean mean fitness machines in the New Year.  The reality is, it's Christmas, you're going to gain weight and you can't deprive yourself or feel guilty.   I think if you can land somewhere between "just a few guilt free pounds" and "I'll deal with it in the New Year" you'll be fine.  Also, you definitely can get it back under control in the New Year as long as you leave those Christmas eating habits behind.  Also, don't jump into a fitness routine that's really not for you.  Ease into it and find something you like to do or you'll hurt yourself and/or hate it and give up.  Trust me, I know.   One more thing, i don't endorse the flu as a form of weight control.

Just another little note.  I know it's been forever since I blogged and I do apologize for such an absence.  I won't promise that I'll be blogging every day and I can't promise there won't be prolonged periods of bloglessness again, but I will do my best to keep you all up to date on my day to day progress of life in 2013.  It's a scary new place, but if we stick together we'll get through it.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment