Thursday 18 October 2012

HOW THE HELL DID THEY RUN OUT OF TEA!!

This was a day that never should have been.  I woke up, bright eyed and ready to take on the day.  I was free from the restrictions of the raw cleanse and what I had missed most of all over the last three days, was the caffein filled steeped tea from Tim Horton's.  Tim Horton's, for those of you who don't know, is a coffee franchise that I can easily say, is a Canadian icon.  Everyone here knows Tim Horton's and everyone has their specific order from Tim Horton's.  It is, by nature, a coffee and donut shop, but they also have tea for those of us who don't drink coffee.  Several years ago they introduced a tea called "steeped tea" which doesn't really make a lot of sense if you think about it, because all tea is steeped to some degree, other wise you'd just be drinking hot water.  The "steeped tea," as it's touted, is essentially loose leaf tea brewed in a filter like their coffee, and I am convinced that, not only does it have more caffeine then their coffee, it's also laced with smack, because it is that addictive.  Needless to say, I was desperate for my steeped tea, so imagine my rage when I rolled up to the speaker box in the drive thru and asked for a large steeped tea with 3 milk and the squeaky voice came back over the radio and said "I'm sorry we've run out of steeped tea, can I offer you a bag tea?"  Run out?  Run out?  Isn't this your business?  How do you run out of a staple like that?  I guarantee you that they've never run out of coffee!  And to add insult to injury, she offers me a bag tea, like that's even remotely comparable!  Their bag tea tastes like bird seed in hot water in my opinion.  It's for the feint of heart, not for us real caffeine addicts.  If it had have been any other day I probably could have handled it like a rational human being and taken the bag tea, begrudgingly albeit. But today was not a normal day.  No siree, it was my first day back into the wonderful world of steeped tea, so I told her to stick the bag tea where the sun don't shine and high tailed to to the next Tim Horton's.  Again for those of you unfamiliar with this Canadian custom, Tim Horton's are on almost every street corner, you could toss a coin and hit one.  We as a nation, actually have a problem.  I digress, I hightailed it to the next Tim Horton's and low and behold a miracle was found.  They had steeped tea.  I almost cheered in the drive thru, I know I did a fist pump, which must have seemed odd to my fellow motorist in line behind me.  I have never had a tea that tasted so sweet.  I think I inhaled it to be perfectly honest, but it was well worth the 5 minute drive from one Tim's the the next and the combined 15 minute wait in line.

Unfortunately the lack of steeped tea from the first Tim Horton's seemed to be an omen of the day to come.  First the meeting I had, produced painful results which has potentially added months and an entire redo to the project I have been working on since January.  Next my moody boss had a bi-polar moment and went from laughing and jovial to cranky and not jovial (couldn't think of another adjective) and got mad at me for not wanting to volunteer my time on Saturday when I already have plans.

There was also a terrible mishap at lunch where a pre-sale on Ticketmaster ended with me being able to only get two of the three tickets I needed for a show.  Fingers are crossed I can get the third when they go on regular sale tomorrow...

And the piece de resistance was another marred attempt at grocery shopping.  I went to the discount store this time, it was on my way home so I thought I'd save myself some time.  How busy could the store be on a Thursday at 4pm?  Things got of too a rocky start when I didn't have a quarter to "lease" my shopping cart for the term of my stay at Fresco.  Then there were no loose cooking onions, just 5lb bags, I don't need 5lbs of cooking onions.  None of the garlic looked any great hell and I totally forgot to buy chicken.  When it was time to check out, they had two check outs going, one was the express, the other was the regular line.  Both were lined up down the aisles.  Wouldn't you think you might want to call for back up at this point?  If you haven't figured out from the .25 cents that I needed to use a cart, this is a bag-your-own kind of store, and in spite of what seemed like self bagging victory at my last trip to Zehr's, when it came time to bag these groceries I was lost, total mayhem.  And because of the lack of decent garlic, onions and my forgetfulness around the poultry, I ended up going to Sobey's anyway.  Good old faithful Sobey's, where you can get a cart without having to feel like a common criminal.  Where they have staff who actually put the food, in some kind of organized pattern, in the bags for you!  In a moment of weakness, I nearly bought a rotisserie chicken and some potato wedges for dinner, but I abstained and stuck with my healthy dinner plan.  This I consider to be a small victory.

Now I'm home, I should be going to the gym, but it's cold and rainy, and given the difficulties I've had all day with social outings, I think its best if I just stay here.  God only knows what kind of hell could be lurking on the elliptical or the bench press machine.

Here's hoping your day is a little brighter for reading this.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment