Friday 12 October 2012

WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING!?!?!

To paraphrase the classic Sam Cooke song "another (Friday) night and I ain't got no body."   Laundry is done, so I don't even have that to fall back on.  For some ridiculous reason I agreed to work tomorrow so I'm not even able to sit back and enjoy a bottle of wine...

No, I'm home, flipping through the channels and I can't help but notice the complete downward spiral of what passes for entertainment these days.  Shows about groups of drunk people with lax morals living in a house by a beach, drinking and screwing as much as they can.  Shows about hillbillies of any variety, living in a swamp, participating in child beauty pageants, buying storage units.  Shows about women with no self worth who need to be told that the married man they've been seeing for years isn't going to leave his wife for them.... the list just goes on and on.  I'm not preaching from a pedestal either, so don't think I'm looking down my nose at anyone who watches these shows.  I have fallen victim many times to the vacuous television programming that seems to be lurking on each station.  

The thing is, people love smutt don't we?  If there's a chance of seeing someone fall flat on their face, both literally and figuratively, in a totally humiliating and public forum, we're all for it.  Let's put a bunch of dudes on a show all vying for the attention of one woman, while she judges them and then dismisses them like an article of clothing.  Then we'll watch them fight, cry and plead for her.  That's entertainment!

Is it just that all the good ideas have been done, or have we just lowered our standards to such a base level that we are thrilled to watch this trash?  It's difficult to say really.  I've been addicted to Jersey Shore for the last 5 seasons, and I am not proud of it.   It's not something I share lightly, but I can't get enough of watching these self centred, egotistical morons parade around drunk and act like apes.  Its just good shit.

Today someone informed me that there is a show, which I have also learned has recently been cancelled, called Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, and that I must watch it.  It's hilariously about an obese mother who's daughter participates in child beauty pageants (which is a whole other beast in and of itself) and all this takes place in the deep south where having teeth is considered a measure of high standing.  My first thought was "I have got to see that" my second thought was why?  What happened to the clever shows like Arrested Development?  Why do they not thrive like this base classless garbage we can't seem to get enough of?  It's like the McDonald's of the TV world, full of nothing but empty calories that keep us longing for more. 

I guess there's nothing we can do but push onward, wading though mindless shows that make us feel better about our small existence on this big blue planet.   And so to that, I am about to hit play on the PVR for the latest episode of Jersey Shore.

Cheers,

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/12/2012

    Huston...I have a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The television shows have spiralled down because so has societies values. Things like common courtesy and respect no longer exist. You can hear the "F" word anywhere now whereas not many years ago, you would rarely hear it spoken and certainly not in public. Young people have no respect for themselves and their parents are a bunch of morons with no idea of how to be a parent. I'm not an overly religious person and I never go to church unless it's for a wedding or funeral but I was raised with morals and taught to respect myself and others and to behave myself in public. The shows on television now are just a reflextion of how pathetic we have become as a society and it will likely get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your problem Huston? Do you not understand why the writer thinks TV shows are so pathetic? Or do you love the crap??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrienne10/13/2012

    ...I might have been the inspiration for this blog Curly Sue ;)
    Grilz and I have a support group of sorts ha ha ha...an enabling group maybe.
    ...now I hope my comment code isn't too complicated like last time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, who'd have thought this blog would have been the one to get everyone fired up... I think there was a miscommunication which has now been cleared up.

    ReplyDelete