Sunday 14 October 2012

IT HAPPENED AGAIN...

Today is the last day before I begin a 3 day raw food cleanse, which does not mean I'm spending the next 3 days throwing out raw food from my fridge.  What it means is, for the next three days, I will be eating nothing but raw food.  Not only does it mean eating raw, but it means eating raw food that will clean me out, hopefully, in a non-violent fashion.

Today I had to make a pilgrimage to the grocery store in order to purchase the required list of food for the cleanse. If you've been reading my blog, then you'll know I have some serious issues surrounding groceries.  Today was no exception.  To top it off I wasn't just shopping for my traditional list of food, which I've committed to memory, I was shopping for things like extra virgin coconut oil, chia seeds and kombucha.  One of the articles on my list was tahini.  It always seems to me that when grocery shopping for something new, there is always one item on your list that seems to be hidden, and try as you might, you'll circle the store, checking every aisle you can think of that might contain that missing ingredient, and you will not find it.  Today it was very nearly the almond milk, but in the end it was the tahini.  Such a simple little bottle of sesame paste was oh so illusive.  I checked everywhere I could think of that might be aisle that contained the tahini, I even checked the pet food aisle, just in case.  If there was tahini in the Zehr's in Orangeville, it was well hidden.  Bravo I say to the staff at said grocery store, you have succeeded.   Rest assured, I had to go to the whole foods store to get the kombucha (which is pronounced kombu-cha, not kombuka as the friendly organic granola vegan eating hippy store clerk so snottily informed me) and it was here that I found the tahini.

So after tonight I'll be eating raw food till Wednesday night.  I'm a little afraid.  First of all I have to learn how to de-vein kale.  I didn't even know leafy greens had veins, and now I have to learn how to remove them.  Also, typically my mornings involve sleeping until I absolutely have to get up and taking a package of instant oatmeal to work for breakfast.  Tomorrow I have to make a smoothie.  This is going to mean getting up to give myself enough time to make the smoothie!  That's got to be at least 10 minutes of sleep I'm sacrificing.  Tonight, after I de-vein the kale, I'm making a salad for lunch with a ginger apple cider dressing.  There's going to be cutting and slicing of vegetables and finding an appropriate container with which to transport all the kale and veggies and the ginger and apple cider dressing which I am still yet to make.

So for the next 3 days my blogs will revolve around my raw cleanse progress.  In advance, there's a chance I might be a touch cranky over the next few days, so I will apologize now.  Until tomorrow...

Cheers,




1 comment:

  1. The circle shopping is not just reserved for the grocery store, I had the same experience in Michaels yesterday. I spent about 20 minutes searching for one item and then another 10 searching for someone to help me find it all the while trying desperately to keep Henry from falling asleep because I needed him to nap for two hours at home, in bed instead of 10 minutes in a craft store. And when I did eventually find someone to help me it took them about three seconds to find what I was looking for and the best part was, the item was in an isle that I went through four times myself already. Argh!...as a side note Malc and I make smoothies the night before and it keeps fine in the fridge until morning. He also puts saran wrap over top of the cup and sticks a straw through it so he can drink it on the way to work without spilling. Thought this might help give you back those 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete