Monday 15 October 2012

TODAY'S BLOG IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LETTER 'W'

For Work, as in holy smokes how is eating raw food this much work??  (incidentally, you needed to read the title of my blog first for the first sentence to make sense.  If you didnt I am ashamed of you.  No I'm not, you're still my favourite blog reader).  I'm de-veining kale, I'm crushing garlic, I'm chopping up vegetables like  a sou chef, only no one's paying me and I've had no formal training of any kind so a lot of the vegetables are getting murdered.  Tonight for instance, I had the great honour of trying to cut up ginger root.  Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you don't eat that peely bit that covers the root.  How in the hell do you get that off?? I used a paring knife, like it was some kind of exotic and misshapen fish I was attempting to clean.  In the end, I'm sure a quarter of the ginger root ended up in the compost bucket instead of in my ginger lemon tea with a dash of honey!




This cleanse is taking a tole on so many aspects of my life.  It is incredibly time consuming, so much so that I missed a major political announcement while I  was putting together the ingredients required for the cleansing vegetable broth.  I've barely had time to sit down, drink my tea and blog!

Today was a challenge food wise also,  I got up 10 minutes earlier to make my smoothie, which consisted of a handful of spinach, a cup of frozen berries, one table spoon of chia seeds and 2 cups of almond milk.  The chia seeds need to be soaked first so they can expand and do their stuff (which apparently is quite fantastic when they do it).  I needed to allow for soaking time in the almond milk, which I did while I was shoving spinach into my blender.  I was nervous about how I'd like this concoction, but it actually was quite tasty, though not all of the chia seeds puffed up the way they were meant too.  Then it was time for lunch,  I would recommend, for those who've never had kale before, not to make a salad that is 97% kale.  It's not horrible, but it's not my favourite thing and I found the cider dressing I made to go with it, too acidic.  It felt like I was burning my tongue with every mouthful.  Lesson learned for dinner.  I added no kale, went with mixed greens and spinach and a whole crap load of vegetables.  Also tried out home made honey dijon dressing which will now be my dressing of choice for the remainder of the raw cleanse.

In terms of the "cleanse" portion of this experiment, I will save the gory details, but I will say this:  It does what it's supposed to do.  On top of that, I feel like everything is working in harmony together, like I've balanced out the ph in my body and things are running like a well oiled machine.  My stomach, which has been in knots for days now, actually feels calm and relaxed.  So I guess there is something to this.

While I was apprehensive about this morning's breakfast plan, I am down right terrified of tomorrow's.  It's leafy greens juice day!  Yay!!  Only I don't have a juicer so I'm being told I can improvise with a blender.  Leafy green juice day afforded me the choice between a kale & cucumber smoothie or a spinach, celery and parsley smoothie.  I went for the spinach one.  Not sure how I'm going to puree this all up into a juice format so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to comment.  Also it was suggested that I "de-string" the celery.  Again, any ideas on how to de-string celery would be most helpful. The next think I'm not sure of is how I'm going to get this thing into me without tossing my raw cookies all over the place.  Should be a good challenge I'm sure.  I will let you know how things go tomorrow, unless I'm too green...bazinga!

Cheers,

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne10/16/2012

    I came for the poll (it didn't work), stayed for the post (good one and good luck), then I helped pay off your spending spree by clicking crazy ads. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete