Thursday 4 October 2012

THE BIG DAY


Today one of my closest friends is getting married and I truly hope that none of her friends read this post before the ceremony because it's going to be a surprise wedding.  Now I should explain that, against my wishes, but due to the nature and timing of the ceremony I am unable to attend.  My friend lives on the other side of the country and so, due to lack of funds for a flight and lack of time off from work I will not be there, but I expect a full recreation of the ceremony when I fly out to visit next summer.  You're going to want to tell your guests that after the ceremony.  They'll need to keep their outfits set aside for some time in July.  

Now the surprise ceremony.  My friend, and her soon to be hubby, who, by the way is a gem, decided they would invite their friends over for a bbq and then spring the surprise wedding on them.  Really I think it's a genius idea.  Imagine how nice it would be to go to a bbq, find out that your good friends are getting married and you had no idea so did not have to suffer the agonies of sitting through an awkward dinner with a table of people you don't know, and having to buy a new outfit or just wear something that isn't comfortable all night long.  And then there's the gift, what should I get?  Did I spend enough?  What if it's offensive?  No, I think the surprise wedding is a great idea.  My parents, on the other hand, would be less the thrilled.

So they are getting married and I am sad to not be there, but very happy for them.  But of course this has got me thinking about my seemingly permanent state of singledom.  I know she'll read this.  Don't freak out that I'm analyzing my life because you're getting married.  I did it when H&M got married and when L&L got married.  It's natural when you're friends start getting married and having kids to wonder when or even if your time will come.  Given my total lack of success in the dating department thus far, it seems like I'm standing at the foot of mountain wearing flip flops (thongs if you're from Australia, flip flops if you're not, just to be clear, this is not about underwear).  It's hard and a little depressing, but I'll soldier on because I have too.  I mean, what's the alternative?  I could just lay down on the couch in a velour track suite and wait for my inevitable demise, or I can use this opportunity to be motivated, go out and find me a man!

But seriously, weddings, child births, other major life events of which I can think of no examples, they get you thinking about you don't they?  Today I listened to an interview of a 24 year old blogger who has a blog, and now subsequent book (sidebar, maybe I could have a book someday!) called F*ck! I'm in my twenties.  It made me laugh at first.  She's 24 and life didn't turn out like she planned.  I felt like saying "are you kidding me! welcome to life!" There's no script, no rules, no set course in life and as far as I can tell it doesn't change when you get out of your 30's.  There's always something more to strive for isn't there?  I mean, what would be the point of sitting down and saying "well I have everything I ever wanted and there is nothing left for me to achieve."  You know who says that?  People who are done living.  I think it would be quite boring to say "this is exactly how I expected it to be so now I can stop working to get the things I want."  So its not all roses and peaches and cream and other things that smell and or taste good, but in adversity we find our best selves.

And so, while my friends are getting married in a little more then an hour in a surprise ceremony that I hope I don't ruin, I ponder that age old question: Is the milk still good 3 days after the best before date?  No that's not it, a valid question, but not what I'm thinking.  Well It's a little what I'm thinking, but the bigger question is where do I go from here?  I guess only time will tell...

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know velour track suits aren't very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the international symbol for I give up. It has officially replaced waving a white flag.

    ReplyDelete